SINGALESE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW HOW TO SENSE PAIN THESE MASS GRAVES ARE NOT A BULL FIGHTING SCENE TO BE ENJOYED.THIS SHOWS THAT SINGALESE PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS WITH NO COMMON SENSE OF FEELINGS. WHAT THEY HAVE LEARNT FROM THEIR LIVES.
Other mass graves in Jaffna -TCHR
[TamilNet, Monday, 31 August 1998, 18:19 GMT]
The Tamil Centre for Human Rights said that it believes that there are mass graves of Tamil people murdered by Sri Lankan troops in areas of the Jaffna peninsula other than Chemmani. The TCHR also said it was concerned the evidence at Chemmani was being destroyed.
In a press release, the TCHR said that its sources in Jaffna “reported that the bodies of large numbers of Tamil civilians who ‘disappeared’ in Sri Lankan military custody may have been buried in the Vasavilan and nearby Punnalaikadduvan areas”.
The Vasavilan/Punnalaikadduvan area, located along the Palaly-Jaffna road, three miles from the Sri Lankan military complex at Palaly, has been under Sri Lankan Army control for several years.
“Recently, the skeleton of a Tamil civilian, Ratnasingham, was recovered from the lavatory pit of Vasavilan Mahavidyalayam (school). The skeleton was identified by his wife, Indranee Ratnasingham by a waist chain and ring it was wearing,” said the press release.
The TCHR cited an Amnesty International report, published last year, which stated that Amnesty said it “had found reliable evidence suggesting that the bodies of as many as 600 people ‘disappeared’ in Jaffna may have been disposed of in lavatory pits, disuse wells and shallow graves in the area”.
Amnesty also said it believed that these people had been tortured to death or deliberately killed in Sri Lankan military custody.
The TCHR also said “unconfirmed reports from the Jaffna peninsula say that, on occasion, smoke has been seen rising from the direction of Chemmani since the area was sealed off. This has contributed to concern that Sri Lankan soldiers who might have been responsible for ‘disappearances’ may currently be deployed to protect the evidence at the site.”
“Since the claims of mass graves emerged in July this year, the Sri Lankan government has not taken any active steps to investigate them, despite considerable international concern over the issue” said TCHR.
“After numerous calls by several human rights organisations for the Chemmani site to be protected from tampering, the Sri Lankan Army sealed off the area. This took place several weeks ago. Since then, no further action has been taken.” Said the press release.
On 23 August, Somaratne Rajapakse, the former Sri Lankan Army soldier who said he could point out the locations of the Chemmani mass graves, was attacked by his prison guards, and hospitalized.
The attack may have linked to an attempt to persuade him to withdraw his claim, according to Amnesty International.
Skeletons found in toilet
[TamilNet, Tuesday, 06 October 1998, 11:13 GMT]
Three skeletal remains were found last week in a toilet pit, close to a former Sri Lanka Army (SLA) sentry post, at Uthayanakar in Kilinochchi said sources. The skeletons had their hands tied behind their backs, and the skull of one showed damage from a heavy blow, they said.
The skeletons are believed to be of people who had returned to examine their homes, which they had fled after the Sri Lanka Army took moved into Kilinochchi in late 1996.
It is believed that the residents had been arrested and subsequently killed by the SLA troops in the region.
Many disappearances still unaccounted for
[TamilNet, Sunday, 17 January 1999, 13:10 GMT]
Kachcheri sources in Kilinochchi said today that 164 persons of the district were reported missing in 1998. The fate of 109 of these persons is not known they said. Eight of these were arrested and killed by the Sri Lankan Army (SLA) and forty seven were released by the Sri Lankan security forces.
The release of 22 persons was officially communicated to the Jaffna government agent by the Sri Lankan security forces headquarters at Palaly.
The others who were released have reported to the Kilinochchi Kachcheri said officials.
Of the 109 whose fate is not known, some, including women and children, may have perished in mid sea while trying to cross the Palk strait to Tamil Nadu they added.
The majority went missing in the environs of the large no-man’s land surrounding the outer defence perimeter of the SLA base at Kilinochchi which was overrun by the Liberation Tigers in September last year.
It was believed that they were apprehended and killed by the SLA’s forward patrols while they had gone to inspect the homes that they had abandoned when the army moved into Kilinochchi town in October 1996.
The Liberation Tigers who overran and captured the base last year found skeletons suspected to be those of the civilians who went missing in these parts after October 1996.
Skeletons found in Jaffna
[TamilNet, Friday, 26 March 1999, 08:54 GMT]
Jaffna municipal workers digging a cesspit near the Duraippa stadium came upon a number of human skeletons today. The Jaffna Municipal Council stopped the work today following the discovery. According to initial reports, there are several rows of human skeletons in the place where the cesspit was dug.
Municipal workers had found many bone fragments just beneath the surface when they had started work last week.
They had ignored the fragments, assuming that they were from the carcasses of animals slaughtered in the area during peace time in Jaffna more than a decade ago.
However, yesterday they had come upon a human skull. And later the municipal diggers had found what appears to be a row of skeletons piled up and buried.
Sources in Jaffna said that bodies could have been buried when this spot was a no go area for civilians.
MO to investigate Jaffna skeletons
[TamilNet, Monday, 29 March 1999, 20:41 GMT]
Legal sources in Jaffna said that the Jaffna district Judicial Medical Officer (JMO), Ram Manohar, who is currently in Colombo will arrive on or before April 6 to investigate the site near the Duraiappa stadium where Jaffna Municipal workers found human skeletons on Friday March 26.
They said that he will collect more bones of the human skeletons buried at the site discovered on Friday under the supervision of Jaffna’s additional magistrate S.A.E Ekanaathan.
Three plastic bags of bones from the skeletons discovered in the pit dug by Municipal council workers were collected on Saturday by a medical officer of the Jaffna hospital on instructions issued by the additional magistrate.
The bags were sealed in separate boxes in the presence of Mr.S.A.E Ekanaathan to be sent to Colombo for forensic examination.
A section of the Tamil press reported yesterday that the three boxes containing the bones from the human skeletons found in the pit had already been sent to Colombo for investigation.
Court sources in Jaffna, however, said that the boxes have not yet been sent to the capital.
More skeletons found in stadium grave
[TamilNet, Wednesday, 07 April 1999, 15:04 GMT]
Investigators digging the stadium grave discovered two more human skeletons this afternoon 2.5 feet from the grave site where the bones and skulls were found on March 26. The first skeleton that was found this morning with its hands and feet tied appears to be that of a female said the Jaffna Judicial Medical Officer (JMO), S.V.Sri Rajeswaran.
Pieces of broken plastic bangles were discovered by the side of this skeleton.
Two more skeletons were found under the first one after it was carefully removed intact from the soil by the JMO.
About eight human skulls are immediately visible in the pit where the three bodies were found today.
Municipal council diggers assisting the Jaffna JMO came upon the three skeletons today when they began excavation near the pit in which human bones were first found.
The skeleton believed to be that of a female is well preserved. It is that of a well-formed person the JMO observed.
The additional magistrate, Mr.S.A.E Ekanathan, and the Jaffna JMO suggested to the officer in charge of the 10 member Sri Lankan Police team detailed to assist the stadium grave excavation that the skeleton suspected to be that of a female be sent to Colombo for forensic examination intact.
The Police officer, however, refused to do so and told them that the skeleton should to be taken apart for it to be flown to Colombo by the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF).
The JMO therefore separated the bones of this skeleton and sealed them in a large bag. Samples of the soil were taken from the site of today’s excavation to be sent to Colombo for examination.
The SLA and the Police took photographs of the grave site, the skeletons and the human bones and skulls during the excavation.
Members of the EPRLF who were present at the stadium gravesite today also took photographs of the site and the proceedings.
The additional magistrate, however, took strong exception to their action and seized the film roll from their camera.
Digging will continue Mr.S.A.E Ekanathan said.
Mass grave found in Veala’nai off Jaffna
[TamilNet, Friday, 19 September 2014, 20:14 GMT]
Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) workers, who dug postholes along the wall of Ooraaththu’rai Civic Council secretariat situated in Veala’nai in the Ooraaththu’rai islet (Kayts) off Jaffna, came across human skeletal remains in all the seven postholes they had dug on Friday. The SL Police has immediately sealed off the site from public access, news sources in Veala’nai said. The residents in Veala’nai alleged that the CEB workers have discovered a mass grave similar to the one that has been recently discovered in Thirukkeatheesvaram in Mannaar.
The SL Navy in the adjacent island of Ma’ndai-theevu has also been blocking the public from accessing some of the abandoned wells in the area as the military had dumped dead bodies of Tamil victims, they further said.
More than one thousand Tamils were slain in early 1990s by the advancing and retreating Sri Lankan troops when the LTTE seized the Jaffna Fort from the occupying military, the residents said.
The islands off Jaffna were de-populated for some time during that time as the people had fled the islands fearing persecution at the hands of the occupying SL military. Some of the victims slain by the SL military could have been dumped at the locality, they said.
The Colombo government and its military have blocked excavation of alleged mass grave sites that have been recently located in areas that were earlier SL military camps or so-called High Security Zones the Jaffna peninsula.
Last year, resettling residents at Pallappai in Vadamaraadchi in Jaffna were warned by the SL military not to dig the abandoned wells at the locality, where the SL military had seized 52 houses for more than 14 years since 1999.